A brand new government MOT reminder service has been launched to remind drivers when their MOT is due, by text message and email.
MOT reminder service by mobile phone
The GOV.UK service from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), sends you a reminder every year when your MOT is due. You’ll get reminded every year:
- 4 weeks before your MOT is due
- 2 weeks before your MOT is due (if you haven’t had it tested yet)
- You’ll also get alerts if your vehicle no longer has an MOT.
To register for the MOT reminder service, you just need the vehicle’s registration number and your mobile phone number or email address.
No excuse for forgetting your MOT
Research by DVSA reveals that around 28% of cars are overdue for their MOT at any given time. Mostly this is down to drivers forgetting to get it done.
You can be fined £1,000 for driving a vehicle without a valid MOT. The only time you can drive legally without one are:
- to or from a garage to make repairs
- to a pre-arranged MOT test
Why is the MOT important?
In 2016, the roadworthiness of vehicles was a factor in 1,687 accidents. The MOT checks that of your vehicle meets the legal standard, but you still need regular services and must check your vehicle all year round.
You should regularly make sure that:
- Your brakes work smoothly, and the vehicle doesn’t pull to one side
- Your tyres are correctly inflated, with no cuts or bulges, and all must have at least 1.6mm of tread
- Your headlights and all other lights work – you can give them a tap when turned on to check they’re not damaged or loosely connected. Check the colours are correct and opposite lights match
- Your windscreen wipers and washers work
- Your view of the road is not obstructed by anything like stickers, toys or air fresheners
Call Car Clinic MOT Centre Ellesmere Port Garages now for a free no obligation car or van repair quote and book a winter Ellesmere Port car servicing appointment or book an Ellesmere Port MOT for your car or van at the same time.</p?