This winter is expected to be colder than usual, so in order to ensure that you stay safe and to keep your car in good condition, follow our winter driving tips:
Winter Driving Tips – Emergency kit
Before the cold sets in, gather together some key items and pack them into your vehicle. You never know when you may need them!
- Ice scraper and a supply of de-icer
- Warm clothes and blankets – both for you and your passengers
- A torch – and spare batteries
- A pair of wellington boots
- A first aid kit
- A set of jump leads
- A snow shovel
- A current road atlas (sat-navs can fail!)
- Sunglasses (for the glare of the low winter sun, especially if it’s reflected off snow)
Whenever setting out on a journey in the winter remember to take:
- Some food and a flask with a hot drink
- Any medication that you, or people travelling with you, need to take on a regular basis
Is your car properly prepared for winter?
You can check that your vehicle is winter ready using the “POWDERY” winter driving tips checklist:
- PETROL (or diesel). Have you got enough to complete your journey? Do you know where you can fill up?
- OIL – check your oil levels monthly
- WATER – check radiator and screen wash levels
- DAMAGE – check wipers, lights and so on for wear and tear, and make sure the windscreen, windows and lights have been fully cleared of any ice or snow.
- ELECTRICS – check the lights, indicators and controls work properly
- RUBBER – are the tyres properly inflated, with good tread and are they free from damage?
- YOU – do you feel you fit to drive? Are you taking any medication that could make driving unsafe?
If you are going to travel with your pet, ensure it is safe and secure and will distract you or the people travelling in your vehicle.
Call Car Clinic MOT Centre Ellesmere Port Garages now for a free no obligation quote and book a winter Ellesmere Port car servicing appointment for your vehicle at the same time.