There are some checks that you should make before using your caravan each year. Here is a guide to caravan tyre care.
Car Clinic MOT Centre Guide To Caravan Tyre Care
- Check tyre pressures regularly
- Examine the tyre treads and remove any stones or foreign objects
- Clean off any oil, fuel or paint
- Check the tread wear – the legal minimum is that you have 1.6mm across the middle three-quarters of the tread around the entire circumference. If wear is excessive or uneven, ask a specialist for advice.
- Replace any tyre that is blistered, ruptured, cut, or has been penetrated by an object.
- Check tyre condition every time you check the tyre pressure. Do not forget to check the side of the tyre facing the vehicle.
- When storing a caravan for a long period, consider removing the wheels storing them with the tyres at normal pressure in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. Cover them with a natural material - not plastic. If the wheels must be left on, rotate them regularly, so the caravan’s weight is not resting on the same part of the tyre for too long.
- Check the tyre valves. Make sure the stem is undamaged and correctly aligned with the aperture in the wheel. Check for distortion of the valve by the wheel trim (if one is fitted). Ensure all valves have valve caps. Valve caps with sealing washers will give more protection against dirt and dust. Check the valve does not leak especially after measuring pressure. If in doubt, fit a new valve.
Car Clinic MOT Centre –Ellesmere Port Garage
Car Clinic MOT Centre: we are here for all of your car repair and Ellesmere Port MOT. For a free quote for Ellesmere Port car repairs or tyres Ellesmere Port then just give our team a call us on 0151 3390101 or pop into our Ellesmere Port garage.